Thursday, September 19, 2013

Growing up


I thought grown-ups were responsible, wiser
Until I turned 18, and received no primer.

Freedom was the prize offered for our patience,
But grown-ups have no time for such indulgence.

Wonder and curiosity are for dreamers, they say
We have to go about the business of money and survival, okay?

They lose their optimism and dream too small,
Close their minds and trust no one at all.

Quick to judge, too quick to hate,
Slow to smile, scared to make a new mate.

If this is growing up, I think I'll pass,
No thanks, I say, I'll stay a wee lass.


This quote by Shaw sums it up nicely: 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old;

we grow old because we stop playing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Let me know what you think!