Friday, October 31, 2014

More on Purpose

I realized today that I am a hypocrite.

For all that I believe that life has no true purpose, and that we are simply an inevitable accident of the laws of physics that govern an infinite universe which existed long before we ever did and will continue to exist long after we won't, I want there to be a purpose. Perhaps not destiny, not a predefined purpose, but I'd like for there to have been some point to my existence. In short, when all's dead and done, I'd like to have mattered.

Have you ever tried writing your own obituary? I did after watching this video on change. And it was depressing. Not because thinking about dying is depressing...after all, death is inevitable (or is it?), but because it was an incredibly boring read.

I would like to have influenced a generation, started a revolution, or even just entertained a bunch of people...just mattered in some way, made a difference.

Someone once asked me why I write, maybe this is why. Maybe this is just my shout out demanding the universe notice me (yes, I recently read The Fault In our Stars...an excellent read, but one that could have you thinking of depressing things such as your own obit). I guess I just want to be remembered. I don't even know why: it's not like I'd care once I'm dead. And yet, today and now, it does matter to me.

Here's hoping I either do something spectacular, or that I outgrow this feeling.

“I am convinced that it is not the fear of death, of our lives ending that haunts our sleep so much as the fear... that as far as the world is concerned, we might as well never have lived.” ― Harold S. Kushner

Edit: Just read that this conflict between there being no meaning in life and our quest to try and find one nonetheless is called Absurdism...has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Thatz a neat write and valid query.I think therz no predefined purpose, no written destiny,no structurally aligned stars in the charts, no preset paths etc.
    We are generalized machines,continuously programming ourselves , with every thought that originates in our brain,rewriting the code,altering the course of our lives as we move forward through it.There are no CONSTANTS, just VARIABLES in the equation_of_life, varying constantly.Its a different life everyday, with tiny changes in the variables, based on the decisions we make, paths we choose and experiences we assimilate. These little changes gradually show their effect in long term, thus silently altering our lives, changing our destinations, rewriting our destinies every day.

    Most of us are insignificant ,from a birds eyes view ,with seven billion plus people on this planet.There are only handful of people that WORLD knows who has changed it , for better or worse. Only way to matter, is to matter, to the people in your world- in your life. One should definitely aim high to bigger and better things, but should absolutely should not miss the chance to matter ,on the daily basis.

    LIfe is as meaningful as we make it, as purposeful as we define it, as wonderful as we live it.

    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate.

    Have a good day,
    ~007

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is no purpose of existence of humans itself like you had beautifully put "we are inevitable accident of the laws of physics" :).
    But as we do exist we can define a better purpose for ourselves. Like the 'bond guy :P' said above we should be useful to others. There are many who are devastated and had no purpose to their life(here, it is because of sorrows in their lives) one should step ahead and help them in defining purpose for their life.
    We should push(or at least try to push) human race in a better direction for a better life which many of us must have just dreamed of.

    On the other side, everybody is influencing someone in some way. Everybody is memorable to at least someone.

    Btw, you should keep writing such stuffs as you are better at it than writing poems. To be frank your poems don't evoke emotions.


    Keep Blogging :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Let me know what you think!