Sunday, May 08, 2016

O Captain! My Captain!

I, like a lot of people, watched Captain America: Civil war this weekend. It was beautiful and here are some of my thoughts on it.

Spoiler alert!

When I watched the trailer all those months ago, my first thought was: That looks so cool!

My second thought was: Spider-man! Spider-man! (Please read that in the tune of your preferred version of the theme song.)

My third thought was: Why are the good guys fighting each other? I thought the whole point of being the "good guys" was to show that conflicts can be resolved without resorting to violence, and that they should be setting an example for the world. How are they better than the "bad guys" then?

But I loved how the movie handled the conflict, how there was no right answer and no real resolution: no real end. Just like in real life, except with people who can shrink and fly and, well, you get the picture.

The most important question, of course, is, what side are you on? And this is incredibly difficult to answer. My desire for law enforcement clashes with my belief in the right to choose there.

At the end, the following quote from the Captain explains my position:
"We are ... not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame."
That's what makes me admire the Captain the most: the fact that he is willing to take responsibility. It's what makes him a great leader. He also does what he believes is right, no matter what, and in that he is truly noble. You don't see a lot of that these days.

A line from the movie that really made me stop and think though, came from young Peter Parker with his awkward, yet somehow more real version of "With great power comes great responsibility":
"When you can do the things I can, and bad things happen because you don't, it's on you."
P.S. Learning how to sew seems like a prerequisite for superheroes. How is that such a common skill? Or is that an add-on that you get with whatever super-skill you end up with at superhero school? "Congratulations on passing sewing 101. Here's your power of flight. You will have to learn to master that yourself. Good bye!"

P.P.S. How I wish there were a superhero school! (Yes, I'm still waiting for my letter to Hogwarts.)

P.P.P.S. The title refers to this Walt Whitman poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Let me know what you think!